Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Flesh Wounds

In my scripture study tonight I was reading in 2nd Nephi chapter 6. (For those of you reading this who aren't LDS 2nd Nephi is a book of scripture in the Book of Mormon. For more information about that click here.) The eleventh verse says this, "Wherefore, after they are driven to and fro, for thus saith the angel many shall be afflicted in the flesh, and shall not be suffered to perish, because of the prayers of the faithful; they shall be scattered, and smitten, and hated; nevertheless, the Lord will be merciful unto them..."

This verse jumped off the page at me. It was as if my eyes were clouded over until I came to this verse and then suddenly I could see. It struck me that I have been driven to and fro in my life. I have been on a wild and emotional ride over the past two years and I have been afflicted with many flesh wounds, but I have not perished. I have been hurt deeply but nothing that has caused me so much pain that I perished. The pain and confusion that I have felt has helped me to become who I am today. In hindsight the things I've gone through made me better and stronger in my faith in the Lord. My love for Him and my testimony of Him has grown deeper because of these flesh wounds.

I have not perished, and I will not perish because in times of trouble I reach out to Him in earnest prayer. I have felt despair and when I reach out to the Lord I feel His mercy.

I am grateful that I will never be afflicted to the point of perishing because of the Atonement of Christ. I will only ever have a flesh wound.

1 comment: